Check out what we have done with our previous project and what the scope looks like for the future, as well as any latest developments.
What we are doing..
The RiHN team is actively involved in shaping the domain of Redistributed Manufacturing (RDM) and Distributed Manufacturing (DM) in Healthcare. Our investigators cover a diverse range of disciplines and adopt a systems view of RDM development, commercialisation, implementation and operational support. Our research covers a range of themes such as:
- Healthcare Policy and Regulation Strategy,
- Operations and Innovation Management
- Engineering and Technology
- Management Personalised and Precision Medicine
- Additive Manufacturing and Bioprinting
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs), including Cell, Gene and Tissue
- Advanced Manufacturing in Pharmaceuticals
What we did..
At the end of our last project we created ‘The RiHN White Paper’ it is the first serious attempt to gather expertise and to explore applications in promising areas of healthcare that could benefit from RDM and covers early-stage user needs, challenges and priorities. The paper served as a foundation for discussing future technological roadmaps and engaging the wider community and stakeholders, as well as policy makers, in addressing the potential impact of RDM.
Please see below videos of our past funded feasibility studies
Members of the RiHN team are guest editing a special issue on “Emerging Technologies in Emergency Situations”, in the International Journal of Operations and Production Management.
We particularly welcome relevant contributions from the healthcare research community.
If you want to get involved or would like an informal discussion, please get in touch using the ‘Contact Us’ button below. Alternatively check out the ‘International Journal of Operations and Production Management’
The deadline for submission is 30/11/2020
Find below a selection of publications and reports, where our Investigators or funded research projects have influenced or delivered international research papers and high-profile reports:
- Phillips, W., Medcalf, N., Dalgarno., Makatoris, H., Sharples, S., Srai, J., Hourd, P., Kapletia, D. (2018) Redistributed manufacturing in healthcare: Creating new value through disruptive innovation, White Paper, UK EPSRC Redistributed Manufacturing in Healthcare Network
- Office for Life Sciences (2018) Life Sciences Sector Deal 2, Government Policy Paper, United Kingdom [Supporting the development of a “[…] framework for point-of-care manufacture.”] Read more..
- Phillips, W., Kapletia, D., Dalgarno, K., Hunt, P., Bibb, R., Makatsoris, H., Rafiq, Q., Roscoe, S., Omar, B., Willoughby, N., Paterson, A., Benger, J. (2020) Innovation in healthcare manufacturing: transforming deployed medical care, International Society for Professional Innovation Management (ISPIM), Virtual Conference, June 2020.
- Hunt, P., Kapletia, D. (2019) Redistributed manufacturing to support field medical care. Future Healthcare Journal, 6(1), 64–65 Read More..
- Ghani, A., Srai, J.S. (2018) Identifying institutional mechanisms for innovations and regulatory changes within the pharmaceutical sec, Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) 2018 International Conference.
Thurman-Newell, J.A., Harrison, R., Hourd, P., Petzing, J., Rafiq, Q.A., Medcalf, N. (2016) Cell micro-factories: Feasibility of a redistributed manufacturing model for cell based therapeutics. In: EurOMA 2016 (23rd International Annual Conference of the European Operations Management Association), 17-22 Jun 2016, Trondheim, Norway
- Roscoe, S., Blome, C. (2016) A framework for the adoption of redistributed manufacturing in pharmaceutical supply chains. In: EurOMA 2016 (23rd International Annual Conference of the European Operations Management Association), 17-22 Jun 2016, Trondheim, Norway
- Adamietz R, Giesen T, Mayer P, Johnson A, Bibb R, Seifarth C (2018), “Reconfigurable and transportable container-integrated production system”, Robotics & Computer Integrated Manufacturing. Read more..
- Srai, J.S., Graham, G., Hennelly, P., Phillips, W., Kapletia, D., Lorentz, H. (Forthcoming) Distributed Manufacturing: A new form of localized production? International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Accepted April 2020
- Kapletia, D., Phillips, W., Medcalf, N., Makatsoris, H., McMahon, C., Rich, N. (2019) Redistributed manufacturing–challenges for operations management. Production Planning & Control, 30(7), 493-495 Read More
- Medcalf, N. (2019) Decentralized manufacture of cell therapies: the challenge of operational modelling. Cell and Gene Therapy Insights, 5(10), 1133-1149 Read More..
- Roscoe, S., Blome, C. (2019) Understanding the emergence of redistributed manufacturing: an ambidexterity perspective. Production Planning & Control, 30(7), 496-509 Read More..
- Harrison, R.P., Rafiq, Q., Medcalf, N. (2018) Centralised versus decentralised manufacturing and the delivery of healthcare products: A United Kingdom exemplar. Cytotherapy, 20(6), 873-890 Read More..
- Montalbano, G., Toumpaniari, S., Popov, A., Duan, P., Chen, J., Dalgarno, K., Scott, W.E. III, Ferreira, A.M. (2018) Synthesis of bioinspired collagen/alginate/fibrin based hydrogels for soft tissue engineering. Materials Science and Engineering, 91, 236-246 Read More..
- Harrington, T.S., Phillips, M.A., Srai, J.S. (2017) Reconfiguring global pharmaceutical value networks through targeted technology interventions. International Journal of Production Research, 55(5), 1471-1487 Read More..
- Srai, J., Kumar, M., Graham, G., Phillips, W., Tooze, J., Ford, S., Beecher, P., et al. (2016) Distributed manufacturing: scope, challenges and opportunities. International Journal of Production Research, 54(23), 6917-6935 Read More..
- Srai, J.S., Harrington, T., Alinaghian, L. and Phillips, M. (2015) Evaluating the potential for the continuous processing of pharmaceutical products—a supply network perspective. Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 97, 248-258 Read More..